Friday, October 1, 2010

El Metate for Lunch and Missionn Minin's for Dessert

On day 2 of my cheap eats tour of San Francisco I returned to the Mission where I walked far off the beaten path (or at least it seems like it to me) to find El Metate Mexican Restaurant, a sprawling place on the corner of Bryant and 22nd streets in a quiet residential section of the Mission.
 
Everyone orders here.
My friend who lives here in SF joined me for lunch and took a lot of these pictures (thanks Kurt!).  Here I am about to dig into my fish Quesadilla.  Kurt had a chicken Quesadilla and a Coke in a bottle.  Both plates came with guacamole, salsa fresca and sour cream plus a bag of corn chips.  Inside the main dinning room is a salsa bar with more bottles of hot sauce then you could imagine and a small selection of homemade salsas and pickled jalapenos peppers.  I got there early and was able to nab a great table outside.  The weather has been warm and sunny.

The entire lunch was $14 and change. 

This isn't terribly scientific but what I am beginning to learn on this cheap eats tour of SF is that the key is all the food so far is really filling.   Part of the value is that not only is it cheap, but it also keeps you full for a long time!  That is until you come across Mission Minis Cupcake store...



The bakers:
On our long walk after lunch Kurt and I decided just a little something sweet was in order.  The selection of cupcakes at Mini's is extensive and they are small and only cost a dollar so you can try several without too much guilt.

The one with the pecan on top is carrot cake while the other one is vanilla with some fancy icing (it was Kurt's and I was too preoccupied with my own to listen in on what he ordered - Kurt helped me out here...)
 
They used an iPad as there cash register.  How cool is that?



1 comment:

Kurt Brown said...

I think my cupcake was the yellow kind with the slightly pink frosting.

...

Ummm... sorry, I guess I was undergoing cupcakenosis at that moment.

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition