Saturday, October 23, 2010

Bisous Ciao: Fancy Macarons on the Lower East Side

I noticed Bisous Ciao one day while walking home.  I'd stopped by September Wines to buy a bottle of wine and then noticed this super fancy store across the street and went over to investigate.  It's on Stanton street between Ludlow and Orchard; I remember the space being under renovation, but this was the first time I'd seen it finished.  At first it was like I was in a dream, you know the ones where you are walking around in your underwear and no one seems to notice, but then you becoming keenly aware of the fact that you forgot your pants at home?  It was kind of like that.  I walked into this sleek modern art gallery-esque room that is completely empty except for a long, chilled marble-topped display case at one end...and I'm thinking I'm on the Upper East, maybe Madison Avenue in the Seventies somewhere.  I'm expecting Jackie O to come in with Andy Warhol and Truman Capote to buy 11 dozen Macarons for a tea party....but then I wake up and realize I'm on the Lower East Side and think: how'd this place get here?
The Macarons are beautiful and come in lots of different flavors.  They are $2.25 each and cheaper if you buy a 6 pack (er, I mean a half dozen).  As a treat I got Neil and I 2 Macarons: Salted Caramel and a Dark Chocolate (made with 72% chocolate ganache filling).  Delicious, light, little pillows of sugar and flavor which are wonderful individually, but even better when eaten together (at least this particular combo).  I have to go back and try the Sour Cherry.  
 
You must stop in to Bisous Ciao the next time you are on the Lower East Side.  It's a little unreal and unexpected, but so worth it.  Best would be to check out their website which tells you how to join the Macaron Club and gives you the low down on seasonal flavors and upcoming events.  Truly Dreamy.
 
Bisous Ciao
100 Stanton Street
NYC 10002
between Orchard and Ludlow
212-260-3463

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition