Thursday, December 23, 2010

Stained Glass Window Treats

These were my favorite Christmas cookie to make and to eat when I was a kid.  They're a little trashy:  the main ingredient is colored minature marshmallows.  To make them more acceptable to my adult sensibilities I used 73 percent dark chocolate and toasted pecans.

There's another "stained glass window" cookie which are butter cookies with a shape cut out of the center where you put crushed hard candies that melt when you bake them creating a colorful window pane.  I like the marshmallow version better.

My camera broke yesterday and I'm still in Mexico, so when I get home I will make a batch of these and add some photos.  For now, the one above, I found here.

Here's my take on a festive childhood favorite.

Stained Glass Window Treats

On a 12" or so long piece of parchment paper add 2 cups of coconut (I think dessicated works best and I use unsweetened, but you can use sweetened if you want) in a thick horizontal row.

In the bowl of a double boiler add 8 Tablespoons of unsalted butter and 1 1/2 cups 70% or more dark chocolate roughly chopped, stirring occasionally with a spatula until completely melted.   Remove from the hot water and stir in 1 1/3 cups roughly chopped lightly toasted pecans, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon good quality rum, brandy or vanilla.

Let cool then fold in a 10 1/2 ounce package of colored mini marshmallows  mix together with a spatula.  Depending on how thick you want to make them this should make 2 or 3 logs.  Add a half or a third of the chocolate mixture to the coconut on the parchment paper and form into logs, coating the out side with coconut.  It's helpful if you dampen your hands.  Transfer each finished log to a fresh piece of parchment and roll up and twisting or folding the ends of the paper.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but overnight is preferable.

When ready to serve unroll and with a sharp knife slice into 1/2" or so discs.

Beeeeeeeeautiful!

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition