Friday, December 3, 2010

Dinner with Friends: Menu

The holidays have sent me into an entertaining frenzy.  In part I think it's because I'm skipping town for Christmas so I'm doing all my holiday entertaining early.

Lentil Stew is one of my favorite things to make for a crowd.  Usually I do it with Indian spices, but this time I made a very simple version with lots of fresh rosemary, thyme, root veg galore and my secret weapon, about a cup of dried porcini, which gave the stew a wonderful earthiness.  The other thing I did that worked out nicely was to have bowl of crispy roasted potatoes beside the stew to be strewn on top - they added a wonderful crunch to the stew! And instead of rice I made some chewy, whole wheat bread that I served with butter and a spicy dipping oil.   

The real joy of lentil stew is how easy it is to make and is best made the day before so that when your guests arrive you don't have to be stuck in the kitchen doing a million last minute things

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition