Friday, July 8, 2011

Hot 'n Sweet n' Local

A friend went to Vermont for the weekend and brought me back a local food publication called Vermont Local Banquet it reminds me of the Edible New York.

Anyway there's lots of good stuff in it and if  you are heading up to Vermont I hardily suggest you check out their site - in the mean time I wanted to share with you a recipe they had as part of a page of recipes of hot sauces.   More and more farmers are selling a vast variety of locally grown hot peppers at the market I thought this version of Vermont Siracha was too good not to share!

Vermont Siracha

Remove the stems and seeds of 3 ounces of fresh Cayenne Peppers and roughly chop (wear rubber gloves!).  Peel, trim and slice 4 whole heads of local garlic (Keith's Farms is my favorite at the Union Square market).  Place the prepared pepper and garlic in a heavy bottomed pot and add 3/4 cups of white vinegar, 2 Tablespoons of Maple Syrup and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Simmer over a medium flame for about 20 minutes.  Let cool before pureeing in a blender.

I love the use of maple Syrup in this recipe along with local hot peppers, I promise pictures after I make some!

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition