Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tater Tots


My friend Kurt sent me this historical note. I never ate Tater Tots since they were too expensive or something. I was always happy with just regular old fashioned potatoes. Baked was for years my favorite preparation, which I think has been beaten out by mashed with lots of butter. All the footnotes are for the Wikipedia Tater Tots Page.

History

Tater Tots were first created in 1953 when Ore-Ida founders F. Nephi Grigg and Golden Grigg[4][5] were trying to figure out what to do with left over slivers of cut up potatoes. They came up with the novel idea of chopping up the potato slivers, adding flour and seasoning, then pushing the mash through holes and slicing off pieces of what came out on the other side. Tater Tots were born.[1] They first became available in stores in 1954. Today, Americans consume approximately 70 million pounds per year.[6]

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition