Monday, August 16, 2010

Fresh Direct


Over the last couple of months things here at Urbanfoodguy have been gearing up. Not only have the number of visitors nearly doubled, but I've started to get all sorts of fancy ass PR people sending me press releases and asking me to talk about their products.

One of the more interesting ones, to me, is Fresh Direct, which for those of you who don't live in NYC is an online food delivery service. You can do all your shopping online and then they deliver it to your door. I can't personally think of a more alienating or unappealing food shopping experience, yet I know lots of people who swear by them. I think if you are elderly or disable it is an amazing service to have available. My gripe with them isn't what they sell, it's what I see as an excessive and wasteful use of fuel in delivering it to you.

My environmental issues aside, it is a local business founded by the people behind the wonderful Fairway Market on the Upper West Side and the main topic of this particular press release was to get the word out that Fresh Direct has teamed up with local farmers and is now offering more locally sourced food.

Newly available on the site are local peaches, apricot and plums from Red Jacket Orchards, Breezy Hill’s handmade fruit pies, bi-color corn, cranberry beans and yellow beans, eggplant, tomatoes, Satur Farms herbs, local kirby cucumbers, baby fennel, candy striped beets and so much more.

They have even gone so far as to offer a 20% discount to readers of Urbanfoodguy by using this link* (Please read the limited time offer legal blah blah at the bottom of the post).

Personally I think you should go to the farmers market, the walk is good for you and Union Square in particular is close to almost every subway. Not to mention this gives you an opportunity to support a large number of farmers not just the larger ones who are able to sell to the corporation like Fresh Direct. I understand that for many that is not a reasonable suggestion, so I'm happy to see that Fresh Direct continues to maintain a commitment to locally sourced food and the farmers that grow and/or raise it and that this site has enough of a readership they saw it worthwhile to write me and to offer my readers a discount.

And while we are on the topic of readers - tell your friends and become a follower!

Thanks now back to our regularly scheduled programing ;-)

* Limited time offer. Expires August 31, 2010. May not be combined with any other offer. All standard terms and conditions apply. Limit one use per customer/account. Residential orders only. Void where prohibited. Offer is non-transferable.

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition