Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Food Movenment, Rising

The New York Review of Books recently published a great essay by Michael Pollan along with a recommended reading list. The above image is the front cover of Joel Salatin's book which I have been wanting to read since I saw him speak at Columbia a while back, it details how small farmers are constantly being put out of business because large agribusiness controls government regulatory bodies that have laws passed that only huge corporations can afford to follow. For example, if you want to slaughter your own chickens you're suppose to do it in an enclosed facility with a designated toilet for the USDA inspector? Joel talks about this in the great documentary movie Fresh while he is sitting outside with some farm workers slaughtering chickens in a nice, clean, breezy area, that looks perfectly sanitary to me....

I have yet to order it as there is only so much frustrating food information I can read and I'm still digesting the amazing, must read Bringing It To The Table by Wendell Berry.

Thanks to my friend Keith in Berlin for giving me the heads up on the article in the New York Review of Books.

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition