Tuesday, June 2, 2009

No Bake Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

Rhubarb and strawberries have been sitting in my fridge since Friday so when I got home last night from seeing Burma VJ (run don't walk to see this devastating documentary on life in Burma) I knew I had to motivate and do something with them.

When I was a little boy spending summers at my grandparent's house, there was a big empty, overgrown lot at the end of the street where Rhubarb grew wild. I'd harvest a bunch, bring it home and sit at the stainless steel trimmed Arborite dining table with a bowl of sugar, lick the end of a stalk, stick it into the sugar and then bite it off. My other favorite item was stewed rhubarb. My grandfather was British and I was so happy to see when I went to my first Pret in London that they sold stewed rhubarb and yogurt cups.

So last night in thinking about what to make with my wilted, refrigerated, tarnished strawberries and rhubarb I came up with this idea.

No Bake Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

Trim 2 pounds of rhubarb and roughly cut into 2" chunks, place in a sieve and rinse. Place in a heavy bottomed pan.

Add 1 cup of sugar to the rhubarb, mix to incorporate. Place on medium heat. Stirring occasional as the rhubarb mixture starts to give off water and the rhubarb breaks down.

Stem, clean then halve or quarter about 2 cups of strawberries.

When the rhubarb mixture has softened and the chunks of rhubarb can be mashed easily add the strawberries and cook for another 5 minutes or less. It depends on how "sweet" you want you strawberries, I like them cooked but still with some shape.

This will give you a sore sweet "stew" that can be served in any number of ways.

You can top it with your favorite granola, or make an easy crumble topping, using 4 T melted butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup rolled oats and and maybe some cinnamon and a pinch of salt.

It can be placed over top vanilla ice cream, or topped with sweetened (or not) whipped cream. You can pour it over strained or Greek yogurt and drizzled with additional honey.

Or you can just keep it in a container in the fridge and eat it directly from the container in the middle of the night with a spoon!

Knock yourself out and let me know what you come up with.



1 comment:

kosher said...

Just a few comment, hope you post some pics of the Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble. But I'm sure its tasty as i love strawberry a lot.

As exchange of your excellence I'm sharing you a great shop in NY, selling great Kosher Foods product. Visit us at http://bit.ly/cwGXQr

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition