Thursday, June 25, 2009

Nicholas Kristof weighs in on Food, Inc.


Sorry to sound like a broken record, but if you haven't seen it you really should, Food, Inc. will change the way you thinking about eating for the rest of your life.

The other day I was on the subway reading Michael Pollan's Botany of Desire, for my bookmark I am using a promotional postcard from Food, Inc., when I got up to exit the train it dropped to the floor, I picked it up and as I was exiting a young woman who had seen what I had dropped said to me:

"Oh did you see that? I saw it at the Film Forum last night, it's really good, but now I feel like there is nothing I can eat!"

A funny choice of words because it's almost exactly what Neil has been saying since we saw it.

It's hard having to be so aware all the time about what you eat and where it comes from. My hope is that some of the cheap and cheerful restaurants that we like to go to will get the message and start including simple things at first like organic eggs, dairy and maybe chicken or a grass fed burger. There are a handful in the East Village who already do, I keep meaning to write to my favorite restaurants and encourage them to make the switch.

I guess if I want to go out and for there to be something to eat I shouldn't wait any longer!

In the mean time here's Kristof at the New York Times.

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition