Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Gods Love We Deliver

I started volunteering for God's Love about a month ago. It's a wonderful organization that started out preparing healthy, home cooked meals for home bound people with AIDS, back in the eighties, back before the antivirals, when not a day went by that you didn't hear of another friend who had died.

Now that things are more controlled they have expanded their mandate to include all people who have a debilitating disease.

It seems to me, from what I have learned, that if you live in the NYC area and are unable to prepare meals they can help you out. A truly amazing organization.

Given the new era of community service that was ushered in today I thought this would be an appropriate time to give this a mention and encourage you all to watch the video and or check out their site and maybe think about joining the volunteer force

I greatly admire the new president's call for community service. It's going on 9 months now since I have been unemployed and unable to find work. Volunteering has given me a reason to get up in the morning and a place to go, it has been very helpful to me.

In the end though there is nothing like having a job, even a shitty one, that gives your week a focus and structure and puts cash in your pocket a the end of the week.

Being unemployed and 49 really makes me feel obsolete and redundant, especially after such a long period of unemployment. It also makes me keenly aware of what a truly horrible financial situation we are in here in America.

Bush and his cronies have left us devastated, suffering in ways we haven't since the great depression.

Community service is a great start, but to really move forward we need to figure out a way to get more of us employed.

Good luck with that Mr. President.



No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition