Thursday, January 8, 2009

Chocolate Pudding Cake - For Natan

This is a recipe that has been in my life since I was a child and my grand mother made it for me. My nephew Natan is a big fan of it and wanted the recipe, it seemed like a good way to get me off my political ranting of late and get back to basics.

After years of looking at different variations of this I have created an amalgam that I think works best.

Chocolate Pudding Cake

Preheat the oven to 325 F and place the rack in the middle of the oven.

Butter an 8" square baking dish.

Combine 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup granulated sugar. Break up any large chunks with your fingers and set aside in a small bowl.

Melt 6 T of butter, add 1/3 cup cocoa and 2 oz of 70% quality baking chocolate (like Valrhona) in a bowl set over a barely simmering pot of water. Whisk until smooth and incorporated then set aside to cool slightly.

Combine 3/4 cup all purpose flour (organic, unbleached) and 2 teaspoons of baking powder together in a small bowl.

Whisk together 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup whole organic milk, 1 T vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon salt, combine, then incorporate 1 egg yolk. Add chocolate mixture and combine. Then add the flour mixture and whisked until fully incorporated.

Pour batter into buttered pan, sprinkle sugar and cocoa mixture evenly over the batter. It needs to cover the entire surface of the batter, then very carefully pour 1 1/2 cups coffee over the cocoa/sugar mixture.

Cook for about 45 minutes, until the cake is puffed and starting to pull away from the sides. Don't over bake! Let cool on a rack for 30 minutes.

I think this cake taste best cold with a nice dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.













 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition