Sunday, May 1, 2011

Canning Season Has Begun!

Weck is a European method of canning that is not very well know here, but since the carcinogenic nature of ball canning lids (the soft rubbery bit that helps make the seal) has become better known about the interest in Weck has increased.  I looked into them last year, and found the only way to get them was mail order.  When I was in Berlin I went looking for Weck jars thinking they would be cheaper, but the ones I found were crazy expensive, so you can imagine my glee when I saw a huge display of them in every size and shape at the Brooklyn Kitchen
 
Weck jars have a glass lid, so you never have to worry about replacing them after each canning season and because the seal is made with a rubber band and metal clamps you don't need to fret about weather or not your food has been infused with a toxic chemical from your canning lid. 
The Weck method of canning is not one I have ever tried, then jars are more expensive but they are safer and never need replacement, not to mention they look awesome and come in all sorts of fun shapes and sizes.  For more on canning check out my epic post from last year.  And for sure watch out for a post on canning with Weck, soon!

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition