Monday, May 30, 2011

All-In-The-Pan Chocolate Cake

When I saw this recipe I loved the idea that you could make the entire thing in the pan.  When I read over the recipe I saw that it included no eggs or butter so was perfect for Vegans, not to mention really easy to make.  The full description in Regan Daley's In the Sweet Kitchen , where I found this gem, is
All-In-The-Pan Chewy Chocolate Cake - but the two I made were not so chewy so I took it out of the name.  True to form I had to fiddle with this recipe instead of just making it as instructed.

First off I wanted a round cake that I could ice and use for a Birthday cake.  I wanted something easy and chocolate and old fashioned.  So instead of making it in the pan I made it in a bowl, with minimum mixing in order to try and recreate the original intent.  I buttered then lined with parchment paper a 9" round spring form pan and used it instead of the 8" or 9" square originally called for. 
This picture is actually the 8" spring form I used first, but it didn't turn out so well: after 30 minutes at 350 the cake looked done, nice and round and beautiful, I tested it, it came out clean and so I took it out of the oven,  5 minutes later the center fell and when I cut in in half I saw that it was clearly undercooked and needed about another 10 or so minutes.  I was not happy, but I was glad that the recipe was so easy and only called for the most basic larder ingredients that it wasn't going to break the bank to start again.  Besides Neil needed a birthday cake!  The second one turned out perfect, I cooked it at 350 for 40 minutes and instead of just testing it with a toothpick I pressed down in the middle of the cake to make sure it was spongy and solid, not wobbly!
 OK enough of my narrative, here is the recipe minimaly adapted by me:

 All-In-The-Pan Chocolate Cake

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

In a large bowl whisk together: 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 1/4 cup American Cocoa (like Hershey's or Ghirandelli)  1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 cup of sugar.

Make three wells in the dry ingredients, Large, Medium and small.

In the large well add 6 Tablespoons of Canola Oil or other flavorless oil (I used Sunflower).
I the medium well add 1 Tablespoon White Vinegar and in the small one add 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla.
Over it all pour 1 cup of Cool Water. Mix with a spatula until just mixed and spoon into the prepared pan.  Or if you are making it in the pan skip this part and mix it all in an un-greased pan. 
 
 Bake 30 or 40 minutes, testing to make sure for done-ness when a ckae tester comes out clean and the top of the cake is solid with a little spring.  Cool on a rack, eat out of the pan or for an added treat ice it!
Chocolate Icing

In a bowl add 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter at room temperature, 2 cups organic sifted Icing Sugar
2 Tablespoons of Cocoa, about 3 Tablespoons of Milk, Cream or Water a pinch of salt and a 1/4 teaspoon of Vanilla.

Whisk to desired texture adding more milk or ice sugar until you have the consistency you want.

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition