Friday, May 20, 2011

Cocktails By Way Of New York Magazine

photo by Danny Kim New York Magazine

For some reason this January we started getting New York Magazine every week in our mailbox.  I'm not a big magazine reader in part because my environmental sensibilities make me think they are a tremendous waste of natural resources.  Of course my exception to this is airports, where I sometimes love to buy a guilty copy of Vanity Fair or whatever else catches my fancy to have for the plane ride ahead.

New York Magazine is something I had never really looked at except for randomly and fleetingly at Doctors offices so having it in the house every week has really made me realize how much good stuff is in it, mixed with other things that either aren't interesting to me or are annoying (like that questionable piece on Justin Vivian Bond...), but for the most part it has become something I look forward to every week.  The food writing is consistently excellent and interesting. 

While I'm still scratching my head as to why I have a free subscription I can ponder which of the 107 cocktails detailed I want to try next...

My point is that this week there is an amazing article on cocktails , you don't really get the full visual WOW on line as you do in the amazing spread on pages 74-75 in the magazine (May 23rd issue), but you do get an exhaustive collection of cocktails (107) with what establishments serves them, the address and contact info for said bar/restaurant and most importantly, the recipes!  So you don't even need to go out to sip one you can make them at home.  Well you might have to go to the liquor store and a fairly fancy one at that as many of the ingredients are things I've never heard of never mind keep in stock. 

The picture above is a cocktail from my favorite new bar (that also has some awesome food) Dram
(177 S. 4th St., nr. Driggs Ave.; 718-486-3726)  it's called a Fourth Mission here is how to make one:

In a mixing glass, combine 1 1/2 oz. Siembra Azul blanco tequila, 1/2 oz. Del Maguey mezcal vida, 1/2 oz. Dolin blanc vermouth, 1/2 oz. yellow Chartreuse, 1 teaspoon honey syrup (2 parts honey mixed with 1 part water), and 1 drop orange flower water. Stir with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Here is the magazine spread, double click to embiggen:

 

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition