Monday, January 23, 2012

Pickled Chili Peppers

Yesterday I wanted to make a quick stir fry so on my way home I stopped at myt local Chinatown produce shop and picked up some Bok Choy, ginger and spring onions.  When I got home I went to the fridge and took out the jar of hot Thai chili peppers I had put up several months ago.  Chopped up two and added them to the onions and ginger in some hot oil.  After a few minutes I added the Bok Choy and light soy and cooked a few more minutes until wilted.  You can ass some chicken cut up and fried to this along with maybe some dark soy sauce or leave it vegetarian and serve over rice.
Chili's grown like a weed so if you have a window sill, roof or back yard grow a few plants, then preserve them and you will have enough to last you the Winter and beyond. Because they are so cheap I always end up buying too many hot pepper leaving them to mold and dry up in the fridge.  This is a perfect anecdote to this problem.

Chili's are very light so the only problem I found with pickling them is that the chilies kept floating on top of the brining solution.   My solution to this was to put a small ramekin on top of them to weigh them down.  Works like a charm.

Stem 4 cups of hot Thai Chili Peppers and put aside in a bowl.

In a heavy bottomed sauce pan add 2 cups of hot water, 1 cup rice vinegar, 3/4 cups of sugar, 4 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt.  Heat over a medium flame until the sugar has dissolved and remove from heat.

In a sterilized jar (or jars I used a quart jar I had, but it doesn't matter) pack the hot peppers and pour over the brine.   Cover and put in the fridge.

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition