Saturday, March 26, 2011

Coconut Pecan Chocolate Bundt Cake

You may remember a while back I published this post about a Coconut Walnut Pound Cake that my friend Michael made and I fell in love with.  Tonight I'm going to a birthday party and offered to bring a cake so thought I would try this out for myself, making a few changes and seeing how the recipe works.  Normally I never post a recipe I haven't made luckily this one was very straight forward and easy and turned out well (so far I will know better tonight after eating a piece exactly how well it turned out).

My first change was the addition of 3/4 cup of roughly chopped 70% chocolate to the batter,  and instead of Walnuts I used Pecans.  So already it is starting to become like a German Chocolate Bundt cake.  In addition to the Coconut oil I added 1 teaspoon of rum into the mix as well.

Here it is about to go into the over.
...and just out of the oven.
The entire cake gets doused in a simple syrup which it absorbs as it sits in it for a few hours.  I over cooked my syrup and it became crystallized.  I have questions about the addition of butter to the syrup and think the cake batter which is made with canola oil should be made with butter and the syrup should just be simple syrup without the butter.  I will report back the next time I make it. 
Here it is soaking in the syrup.

Here it is after it had been soaking for an hours or so, in reality it should not crystallize but rather remain moist.
 Out of the pan, I have to admit I love the shape of Bundt cakes, they're very handsome, no?
 So my other addition to the recipe was to add  a chocolate ganache made with 70% chocolate  (1 cup heavy cream, brought just to a boil, then  poured over 6 ounces dark chocolate chopped, I added, of course, a splash of rum) let it cool for about 15 minutes and then drizzled it over the cake.
 To finish I sprinkled about 1/3 cup of toasted coconut over the ganache.
I'm going to make it again with a butter batter and will re-post my final reworking of this already great recipe.  My only qualm is that I don't think you can call it a pound cake if it doesn't have butter in it. 

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, that bundt cake looks loaded with flavors that will make tastebuds sing. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your bundt cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

Kurt Brown said...

* faints *

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition