Wednesday, January 5, 2011

San Diego

Maybe it's cold eat coast envy, but it's so wonderful to see oranges, lemons and pomegranates growing on peoples front lawns!

 
The above picture is my Turkey Pot Pie that I ordered at Cafe On The Park.  When I ordered it I had no idea it would feed four and be presented in such an untraditional form.  It was flavorful, filled with chunks of white meat Turkey breast (some dark meat mixed in would be nice) and lots of vegetables: carrots, broccoli, spinach and potatoes swimming in a rich cream sauce.  The crust was crunchy and herb filled and was perfect for dipping into the sauce and scooping up veg. This place was one of many where I had perfectly fine food, but where I felt that San Diego restaurants had gone for quantity over quality.  Organic or seasonal never appeared on any menu I saw. Cafe on Park had an immense menu with some very unique items like: Captain Crunch and Blackberry Pancakes and Sugar Frosted Flakes and Banana Pancakes.   The breakfast menu is so big and diverse it really is hard to decide what to eat.  The menu ranges, so in addition to the trashy Captain Crunch pancakes they also have delicious sounding savory Corn Pancakes with jalapeno, cheddar and onion or Brown Rice Porridge with oatmeal, coconut, raisins, nuts and honey.

I did have some fine meals in San Diego:  some delicious and very cheap Vietnamese food at Pho on Fifth and a lovely Thai dinner my first night in town at Amarin.  The Thai food on the west coast is so much better as a rule then anything I get in NYC.  In general, my passing observation is that size is more important then quality, seasonality or originality.  I'd rather have less of better quality....It's nearly 8 pm but I ate lunch on an empty stomach and at 12 I'm still full!



I did see the word organic. Just not on a food menu...

It's hard to tell but that is a shiny fish in the peace sign hand sculpture.

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition