Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Peach Scones, Vanilla Ice Cream and House Preserved Ginger Cognac Peaches

Way back in August I preserved peaches for the first time, never content with just following a recipe as it is written I added fresh ginger and cognac to half of the jars of Peaches I canned.  Monday night my friend David came over for dinner.  It seemed to me the best antidote to the January cold was to open up a jar of preserved peaches and see how they turned out.  Certainly I could have just served them plain or maybe with some heavy cream, but I decided to make a short cake of sorts, so I made some vanilla ice cream (also with a little splash of cognac) and fresh from the oven ginger scones.  For the scones I added crystallized and dried ginger to the batter and then added a pinch of dried ginger into the sugar I sprinkled on top of them before popping them into the oven.

This is the best reason I can think of as to why we all need to be doing canning in the summer!   These peaches where spectacular, if I do say so myself, and such a wonderful reminder of what a spectacular season we had this summer for stone fruits.  Being able to taste this summer's peaches again in the middle of a cold snowy January night, it doesn't get much better.
 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition