Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pfifferling Mushrooms


So yesterday I was with my friend Keith at the Turkish market in Kreuzberg not far from where I am staying here in Berlin. We come up to this one stall and there is a kilo basket of what look to be Chanterelle mushrooms, my German being non-existent I was perplexed by what I thought the sign said:

3 Euros (approximately $4.20).

For 100 grams? No, the vendor tells us 3 euros for the entire basket! I was beside myself.

So I bought them thinking it would be nice to make a risotto for Keith and Christian.

That night we went to a beer garden restaurant and the entire front page of the menu was seasonal specials for a local mushroom: Pfifferling.

Keith and I told Christian the story and he assured me they were just a local mushroom that happened to be currently in season. Then as I was about to write this post I did a search to find a picture and guess what, they are indeed Chanterelles, a mushroom it turns out with many names: Egg, Girole, Girolle and Pfifferling.

After another quick search i find that, at the moment, this same amount of mushrooms in NYC would cost about $15 a pound (which strikes me as on the low side) so a kilo (2.2 pounds) would cost about $37.50

Despite this significant pleasure, I have to say that i'd forgotten how much jet lag sucks. I was awake at 5 and now it's noon and I'm ready for dinner and bed.

Aufwiedersehen for now...

2 comments:

Forest said...

It is awhile ago now that you bought those fresh Pfefferling in the Turkish Market - but West Coast Canada chanterelles are prime right now. If you are interested in a bulk order at
$10./lb US (plus air freight)- you will be pleased ...
Cheers! Forest

Anonymous said...

Hello UFG & Forest,

Just had lunch with my parental units and they were raving about having Pfifferling shrooms with dumplings and a thick sauce in Berlin last year, I live in Vancouver, BC Canada are the local Chantrelles a good substitute to serve them? Thanks in advance!!
williamdinbc@hotmail.com

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition