Friday, December 11, 2009

Is All Bourbon Is Genetically Modified?


Last week I was at Astor Wines it's probably my favorite place to by booze these days. They have great prices a vast selection and a real dedication to organics. They also have lots of staff pick narratives and friendly helpful staff willing to help out with making a decision or giving you the low down on a bottle.

We were having a dinner party and I needed to pick up some wine and wanted to treat myself to a nice bottle of Bourbon, I don't actually drink it, but I love to cook with it. Scotch, Rum and Bourbon are my cooking triumvirate and I was out of all of them.

It dawned on me while browsing through the huge selection of bourbons that not one of them was organic. I actually didn't see an organic scotch either, but that didn't bother me so much as it's made from grain that isn't genetically modified, Bourbon, on the other hand, is made from corn which is a huge GMO crop here in the States. When I did a search online for organic Bourbon nothing comes up.

So every time you see a recipe here or anywhere that calls for bourbon use rum, I found several organic rums my favorite is R J Rum VSOP. It's aged in old bourbon barrels, but they are recharred, so let's hope that gets rid of any trace GMO nastiness.

And if you are a business person reading this, I have a great idea for you: small batch organic bourbon.

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition