Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Baohaus: A New Place for Fast Food on the Lower East Side

On my way to buy some cheese at Saxelby's I stumbled upon this new take Taiwanese take out place that makes a selection of tasty sandwiches with Niman Ranch meat! Always happy to see affordable delicious food made by people with a commitment to sustainable meat.

I had the Sichuan bao $7.95 for 2 small steamed buns stuffed with pulled chicken and Sichuan pepper corn oil - yummy. I can't wait to go back to try the rest. The guys who own/run it were all there tonight, all three young energetic and friendly. They gave me some salt and vinegar boiled peanuts on the house, I liked them, but they took a while to get used to something about the texture - I'm not used to eating wet peanuts, but once I got over that they quickly became addictive!

They also serve sweet bao fries which sound very intriguing (Gua Bao is a kind of bun - I can call them steamed buns and they tend to be really white, soft and lovely, kind of like the wonder bread of Asian) here's their description:

Sweet fried slices of bao served with sweet sesame dipping sauce. Sounds like dessert!

For more info check out their site baohausnyc.com

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition