Friday, September 11, 2009

French Fries, Cheese Curds and Gravy = Poutine


I was walking up Ludlow street the other day on my way to Yoga when I pass this woman washing the window of this new restaurant called T Poutine.

I laughed and said to her: You must be French Canadian?

She was Canadian, but an anglo who had lived in Montreal.

When I was a kid my favorite meal when I went out with my grandmother to the Kresges food counter was french fries and gravy with a coke. So you can imagine my delight when I first went to Montreal in my late teens and discovered how much better this combo was when you added cheese curds! Hot fries out of the oil sprinkled with chunky curds and covered in gravy, the heat from the fries and gravy melting the curds creating a gooey, cheesy, gravy soaked, crispy potato orgy of wonderfulness!

In a way it's surprising it has taken so long for this hearty French Canadian dish to find it's way here, but I can tell you it was worth the wait.

Not only does T Poutine specialize in Poutine they have items on the menu as well: Salmon, Steak, Chicken and Sausages my favorite is the there dessert rift on "Canadian" food:

Sweet potato fries dusted with cinnamon sugar and a side of Maple Syrup - Yum!

Cheese curds have never been so well represented on a menu, they have them panko coated and deep fried, in the Pot Pie with chicken gravy, chicken and peas, and my favorite, an ode to Montreal's famous smoked meat a Poutine variation that includes, yes smoked meat appropriately called: The Montreal Meat Lover

Dude lets down a few Molsons and check out this new Poutine place, eh?



No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition