Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fondue Pizza

The other night I had some no knead pizza dough all puffy and risen waiting to be used, but I had not gone to the store to get fresh mozzarella and I wasn't so keen on the idea of coming home and making home made tomato sauce. Then I remembered that I had the makings of fondue at home. Which is to say Gruyere and Emmenthaler cheeses. So this is what I did:

Spread out the dough onto a half sheet pan and let it rise until doubled.

I then put my pizza stone in the oven and heated it to 500F.

Then I chopped up 4-6 garlic cloves and added them to about 4-6 tablespoons of olive oil.

Instead of a sauce I just opened up a 14 oz can of my favorite Italian organic tomatoes (bionatura) drained the liquid, squeezed the tomatoes to get all of the remaining water out and roughly chopped them.

Once the dough had risen I slathered the garlic olive oil mixture all over it, then sprinkled the chopped tomatoes, added salt and ground pepper. Then I grated about 1 1/2 cups of each cheese and sprinkled generously all over the prepared tomato, garlic olive oil dough. Popped it in the oven and waited for it to get all melted and brown and bubbling (about 15 minutes). This was the Sicilian version, because I didn't want to be bothered rolling out round pizzas and having to make several. One big one was just fine.

Yummy.

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition