Monday, April 20, 2009

Meryl Streep does Julia Child


When I was a child one of the only two cooking shows on TV that I was aware of was The French Chef. The other was Graham Kerr's The Galloping Gourmet. Needless to say, it was the boozy, funny, flirty, irreverent Galloping Gourmet who got my vote, so I always thought Julia was boring. Years later I worked for a food stylist here in New York who knew her, she was still alive at that point and I was saddened to hear that even though she had lived in France for years and worked in TV she was no fan of "the gays." Not that I can hold that against her, it was indeed a different time, but it did sully her for me, so I'm glad the amazing Ms. Streep is going to be reinterpreting her.

Funny side note, I worked for another food stylist for a while and his other assistant was leaving him after many years to go do the food on the Julia Child movie! Such a small world.

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition