Thursday, November 12, 2009

Lunch at Gozzi Sergio

Gozzi Sergio was one of my favorite places that I ate at this trip to Italy. The food is very basic, a lot of simply grilled and pan friend meats and a lot of fried food. My friend Jane who tipped us off about this place thinks they make some of the best soup around.

The day we were there they had a very hardy minestrone with kale and beans drizzled in olive oil. A container of grated Parmesan was placed on the table along side much needed salt and pepper. It was hardy and delicious.

We also had a very simple bowl of white beans with olive oil that again after heavy shakes of salt of pepper where simple and tasty.

For my main course I had rabbit that was basically southern fried bunny. Three pieces on a plate along side a half a lemon and a side of fries. The fries (patati fritti ) are home made, thick, meaty and cooked crisp. The rabbit was good, very simple, but well done.

Neil wasn't so hungry and was happy with his soup and fries and lots of wonderful bread.

I hope you can get a sense of this place from the video, it's been open since 1915 and doesn't looked like it's changed a bit. Actually from what I could tell from the people eating their the day we enjoyed lunch it seems they still retain a large portion of their original clientele.

A true taste of old world Firenze. The waiter was wonderful spoke perfect English, with a half litre of red it was 35 Euro for 2.

Pretty meat heavy menu, go for the soup and fries! Oh I almost forgot my absolutely favorite thing about this place is their business card which features a line drawing of a guy smoking a cigarette, love that! Of course now you can't smoke inside, but I love that they still use it anyway.







No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition