Monday, November 16, 2009

Local Chestnuts


Samascott Orchards at the Union Square Green Market is selling Chestnuts!

I'm not sure why, but I find this very exciting.

For years I've been wanting someone to sell walnuts, which I have seen once or twice over the years and they have always been very expensive. Having just come back from Rome wehre they sell chestnuts on street corners all over the place I was glad to see that the folks at Samascott had planted edible Chinese Chestunut trees and that they were mature enough to bear fruit.

I roasted a couple of pounds of them and served them shelled in a bowl and I also chopped some up and added them to my roasted carrot and cumin mash.

They're $7 bucks a pound and well worth it, next up is making them into something sweet!

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition