Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Tao of Cornbread

Love how opinionated she is. I think this looks like a very authentic corn bread, but one that needs to be served with something, covered in Chili Con Carne, or Collards and bacon.

Thanks to my friend Chris in Asheville who I owe a phone call to for tipping me to this:



So the recipe would be: 

Preheat oven to 450 F.

Mix 2 cups white corn meal, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder and 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Soda stir in 1 large egg and 1 1/2 c cups of buttermilk.  Stir until mixed then add 4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter (melt the butter in the same cast iron skillet you will cook the corn bread in) of course for really rockin' corn bread swap out the butter and use 4 Tablespoons of rendered bacon fat.

Cook until brown and a cake tester comes out clean.  I'd say about 20 minutes?

2 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks for writing out the Recipe, it makes it much better to follow than a YouTube Video! I normally like Sugar in my cornbread, so this is quite a risk for me! I'll let you know how it goes. :-)

Becky said...

It ended up taking 15 minutes to bake, and was just a tad bit salty for my liking, probably because I used 2T butter and 2T Bacon Drippings. Thanks for the Post!

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition