Saturday, January 23, 2010

Blueberry Ginger Crumble Squares

Here's what I have discovered about my recipes that I post here. They change. So if you see a recipe and think: "Wow I have to make that" and print it out it's always a good idea to check back in a few days or even a week to see if it has changed at all. Last night I made the Kale Salad which I thought turned out really well but I realized when I made it I changed it a bit from the recipe as written so I went back today to edit it and add my observations and variations from having just made it.

I will say I really liked it and am amazed it took me so long to realize how delicious raw kale is.

This Blueberry Ginger Crumble Square recipe was inspired from my trip to Toronto where I was reintroduced to date squares again and then on the day I left went into a coffee shop and they had blueberry squares which got me thinking, the blueberry squares for sale had a very thin layer of blueberries almost like a jam and was heavy on the crumble, I like crumble don't get me wrong, but I really love blueberries and wanted to create something that would work as a treat with a mid afternoon cup of coffee or as a stand alone dessert with whipped cream to top off a meal.

Even though I felt these were successful I want to try making them again because I made them this first time by cooking the blueberries first to make a kind of pie filling. It works fine but I want to see how tossing the sugar, flour, ginger, lemon juice with the frozen berries works .

Also I see this kind of dessert as perfect for frozen berries and am not sure if I had fresh berries I would want to bury them between two layers of rich crumble. The problem arises with how to deal with frozen berries, should they be thawed first and then drained or what? I'll keep you updated with my experimentation but for the time being here is the recipe that I made and know works just dandy.

Blueberry Ginger Crumble Squares

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Line a 10 x 10 square tin with parchment, use 2 pieces in opposite directions to form a cross of sorts, with a good couple of inches over hang. This is optional but makes getting them out of the tin to cut easier and reduces the risk of the first piece falling apart.

In a large heavy bottomed pot add: 8 cups frozen wild organic blueberries, 1/2 cup cane sugar, 3 T all purpose flour, 1T Lemon juice and 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger, turn the heat to medium high bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer stirring often.

Cook for 8-12 minutes or until the mixture has thickened to the texture of pie filling (frozen berries give off a fair amount of liquid so not to worry that there isn't any added, if you were to do this with fresh berries I would probably not precook it I would just toss all the above ingredients together and place in the uncooked crumble base. Also I did not thaw my berries I use them frozen straight from the freezer).

When the filling has thickened take off the heat and put aside to cool.

Using a standing mixer or by hand combine:

2 cups rolled oats, 2 cups ground walnuts (lightly toasted), 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup cane sugar, 3/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed, 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), 4 T cream cheese, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt mix until combined. The dough will be moist and sticky. Divide the dough in half (I find if you wet your hands it makes working with the dough easier). Press half of the dough into the prepared pan.

Pour in the blueberry mixture and crumble the remaining dough on top.

Bake for 35 minutes or until the top has browned.

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition