Saturday, May 30, 2009

Why cooking is good for us

Neil forwarded me this fascinating review of Richard Wrangham's Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human.

It's basically about evolution and how the discovery of fire lead to cooking and that lead to all sorts of other changes that help to create humans as we are today.

Here's a quote from the review:

“Cooked food does many familiar things,” he observes. “It makes our food safer, creates rich and delicious tastes and reduces spoilage. Heating can allow us to open, cut or mash tough foods. But none of these advantages is as important as a little-appreciated aspect: cooking increases the amount of energy our bodies obtain from food.”


Apparently he's not a big fan of the raw food movement either. This is definitely something to look for at the Strand!

1 comment:

Urban Food Guy said...

I'm not, that's the authors quote, but I am damn curious myself so I hope to pick up a copy soon and will report back after I've read it. Which given my long reading list and slow paced reading may take a while ;-)

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition