Sunday, June 26, 2011

Thai Sweet N' Spicy Cashews and Coconut


I've made these twice and both times I mean to take pictures and then forget.  So I promise to get a visual in here sooner than later, but for right now I thought I'd start with the recipe!   Which is an easy to make classic Thai combo of sweet, salty and spicy.  I use mild local honey to sweeten them.

Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a wok or frying pan add 1 tablespoon of organic Peanut oil (or any other flavorless oil like Canola) and 4 Tablespoons of mild Honey bring to a boil over medium/high heat, boil for a minute then add 2 cups of cashews (or organic peanuts) reduce heat to medium/low and cook slowly, stirring often, when the Cashews start to brown add 1 1/3 cups of unsweetened dessicated coconut.  Continue to cook and stir until the coconut has browned. 

Remove from heat and stir in salt and freshly ground black pepper (I like them salty so I use about 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and about 1/4 teaspoon of pepper,  if you are worried about it being too salty start out with less salt, say 1/2 teaspoon, and add more until you have them like you want them). 

Seed, stem and finely chop 1 or 2 red Thai chili peppers add to the nut mixture and stir until well incorporated. Add more honey if the mixture seems dry or you taste it and want to sweeter. 

Spread the nut mixture in one layer over the parchment paper and let sit at room temperature for about an hour.

Best served on a plate not in a bowl.  Warning!  Highly addictive!



No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition