Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Ice Cream Truck Stops Here

For the last couple of weeks I've been going on about how the Big Gay Ice Cream truck was becoming the Big Gay Ice Cream Store, with their first non-moving location on 7th street.  Then the other day I turned down 7th street on Second Avenue and lo and behold what do I see? Van Leeuwen's has opened up a store just a block away.  Van Leeuwen's has an ice cream truck as well (actually 6 at this point, I believe Ben told me) and now they have their third store, the first one in Manhattan. The other two are in Brooklyn, one in Greenpoint and the other in Boerum Hill.
The store sells baked goods and brews Intelligensia Coffee as well, but it's the locally sourced, top quality ice cream that is the major draw.  The space is large, and has that bright clean brand new look to it with lots of place to sit down and enjoy your goodies.
That's Ben Van Leeuwen's back in the above picture.  He was really nice to me when I was asking all these questions about the store and is very passionate about artisanal, preservative and filler free ice cream made from the best sourced ingredients he can get his hands on.

Now you don't have to go on Twitter or some other website to find out where your favorite food truck is you just need to come to the East Village!

No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition