Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pizza: The Perfect Food for Watching a Revolution

After two mind numbing days waiting around in a NY state office building in Tribeca I was released from jury duty.  I immediately came home and took a nap, something about being holed up in a windowless room for two days just makes you want to sleep.

Today was also the first day in too long that I was able to cook something, I had errands to run and a very late start so I made my default: pizza.  It was in the back of my mind all day to want to come home and get my "Egypt fix"  it was Neil who said:  

You want to eat pizza and watch Rachael Maddow?

Ever since Mubarak made his announcement about how he wasn't going to actually do what he should do (step down immediately) but rather linger until the September elections I knew things would quickly go down hill, as Neil and I witnessed today over pizza.  I used a puree of tomato that in Neapolitan style was not cooked, I just added salt and freshly ground black pepper, a touch of sugar and poured it over my dough.  Then I sprinkled very thinly sliced garlic over it and covered it all in Pecorino Romano and fresh, local Mozzarella.  When it was hot out of the oven I covered it in fresh Rosemary.  Normally I'd make a sauce with cooked garlic and herbs, but I have to say not only was this easier it tasted way better. 
Rachel Maddow started out her show with a preamble about Tiananmen square and the parallels between what is going on in Cairo and what went on in Beijing.  I've posted the piece below if your interested, it's really smart and insightful.

What I want to know is if the pro-Mubarak supports felt this strongly why did it take them a week to come out and counter protest?  What, they couldn't find the right ingredients for their Molotov cocktails so they had to wait and get them in the mail?

Anyway there is nothing like sitting in your lovely NYC apartment in your comfy bed eating homemade gourmet pizza to make you realize what a disconnect there is between the horror going on in the streets of Cairo right now and the domestic bliss and middle class comfort of our home. 

One of the things that I find so fascinating about what is happening in Cairo is how one day your life can be banal and ordinary and the next day everything has changed. 

I wonder as I watch the tensions unfold in Tahrir square if it could ever happen here?
And if it did how would I react?

Gun shoots are being fired and a tank is running along a highway spewing smoke.

Neil has gone to the kitchen to get more pizza.



No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition