Thursday, July 3, 2008

Market Watch July 2nd

Yesterday at the market I saw the Honey Hollow Farm sign and was really excited to see they were selling local Porcini mushrooms!

I went over and chatted and took some more shitty pictures with my camera phone (sorry but my real camera is broken...). The farmer told me he'd been growing them for years and selling them at Union Square.

Porcini are something I've only started to cook with in the last couple of years and it would be fair to say they are my new favorite food! It most exciting to see actual fresh ones and not be a slave to re-hydrating dried ones.

He was selling Grade B (bigger) for $35 lb and $39 lb for Grade A. What a bargain.

The market was bustling for a Wednesday. Lots of green house tomatoes, and amazing blueberries, raspberries and cherries. I think the first round of strawberries is almost over.
The spring garlic and onions are lovely as the lamb's quarters and fresh herbs.

Lot's of basil, so I bought this huge bunch for $3 and came home and made pesto. And even though the tomatoes looked great I'm waiting for the non-greenhouse ones that promise to be ready in 2-3 weeks.


No comments:

 
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition